Friday, December 05, 2008

Facebook: OMGWTFBBQ

I'm probably not the first person to notice this. But one big problem with Facebook (now that I am a veteran of several months standing) is that one disintegrates into the hive-mind even more quickly using it.

An individuated adult has more than one mode, and more than one persona. FB is like a hydrogenating agent in that it mixes all of one's disparate connections into an artery clogging, unified mess.

What did Allen Ginsberg say in America?

Are you going to let our emotional life be run by Time Magazine?
I'm obsessed by Time Magazine.
I read it every week.
Its cover stares at me every time I slink past the corner candystore.
I read it in the basement of the Berkeley Public Library.

Yeah, it's like that. For the moment I am staying in the hive, waiting to see what happens. But I am not so sure that being on the grid so much is good for anyone.

Another way to say it:

How Can I Miss You When You Wont Go Away - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks