Saturday, December 02, 2006

Brice Marden Doesn't Suck

(An open letter of my first impressions of the MOMA retrospective which runs through Jan 15, 2007.)

Dear Brice,

The show is good. The jazzy rhythm and the calligraphic marks and the studious evolution and the focussed craft of it is good. No car crashes or stinky feet or women's asses. OK, so that's what I usually look for in a serious painter.

But there are other painters to do that stuff (the noble subjects of art, much akin to the historical motifs of the 19th c.) But the best of the Mardens at MOMA, and the flow of the works is even inspirational.

Did I mention the Cold Mountain series and how exciting it was to see your breakouts reenacted in the MOMA galleries?

OK, Marden, I'm putting my queer shoulder to the wheel. So to speak. I mean, I am straight and there really isn't a "wheel" exactly here in my studio, but there is work to be done, and this show made me feel hungry again. I mean it maaaaaan.

Yasher Koach!

P.S. Interview with Brice Marden here